Senior Status

Sofia - RWU Class of 2013

Time Flies!

Hello friends!

This semester has been so crazy already, not to mention it is my VERY last semester as a college student! By the middle of this year, I will be living on my own (hopefully), with a full-time real job (hopefully). I have been waiting for the year 2013 for as many years as I can remember, and it’s unbelievable to me that it is already here! Less than three months until Commencement, and I got a letter in the mail about RWU’s Grad Fair to pick up my cap and gown… OMG TOO FAST!

I hate to admit it, but I haven’t even started job hunting yet. For one, because I haven’t had a spare moment, but I think the main reason is because as excited as I am for the rest of my life to finally begin, I am scared out of my mind that the decisions I will be making will affect the rest of my life. One thing will lead to the next and could affect the path I take and where I end up ten years from now. Five years from now, two years from now… heck, next year, who knows where we will all be? How exhilarating, but scary at the same time.

Anywho, school has been crazy and (per usual) my schedule is jam packed. I am taking my last class for my public relations major (case studies), my last class for my graphic design minor (corporate identity), and the forever dreaded senior seminar, which thankfully is fairly interesting. I also have an internship as my work study this year at the Media Relations office here on campus (which I am loving)! I also have an internship in Providence twice a week at Miamore Communications, a boutique PR firm specializing in several jewelry clients and non-profit organizations. Even though I have had several internships prior, I am excited to finally be in a PR firm, since that is where I am sure I want to work. This type of experience is exactly what I have been looking for, and I am glad to be getting it before graduation.

If I didn’t need another thing on my plate, I am also participating in the Bateman competition this year, which is a national PRSSA public relations campaign competition. All of the teams are given a topic (this year is bullying), and we are required to plan and execute a month long campaign during February to reach our target public and meet our set objectives. Our campaign, RememberMeRI has been going great, and I am so proud of what we have accomplished between only a five person team. It has been a ton of work, but it is so rewarding to feel like we have really made a difference. I think we have a really good chance this year to be in the top three in the nation, so fingers crossed! But I do have to say, I am really looking forward to this month to end, as I am looking forward to having my social life back!

Oh… and don’t forget I am still in charge of the monthly PRSSA newsletter COMMent, the Opinions and Entertainment Section Manager of The Hawks’ Herald, an active PRSSA member, and have a boyfriend who goes to URI. Time management and organization should be my middle name!

And just think, next time I check back in with you, I’ll be job hunting already… wish me luck!

xoxo
Sofia