International Admission Update

International Admission Update

Travel season was certainly a whirlwind this year. In just 39 days, I had the opportunity to meet with fantastic students, families and schools in 15 different cities and 11 different countries. While travel was fantastic and I feel unbelievably fortunate to have been able to have met so many wonderful people and see so many beautiful places, it is great to be back home in Rhode Island, and to return to the beautiful Roger Williams University campus to begin to work with the students and families I met with across the globe as they begin their application process and take the first steps towards becoming an RWU Hawk!

My travels took me to the northern, southern, eastern and western hemispheres and during my trip to Ecuador my travels took me to both the Northern and Southern hemispheres at the same time as I had the opportunity to stand on the equator and even to test the power of the earth’s rotation with a few science experiments. In Singapore, I was able to experience reverse bungee jumping in Clark Quay, a ride I agreed to go on before learning that it not only shot up but also spun on the way back down, and in Malaysia I was able to experience the Batu Caves where we were able to take in the beautiful scenery, while getting so close to wild monkeys that we were warned to tuck in any loose personal items as monkey muggings were a real concern.

But more than the amazing places I am able to visit, what truly stands out from my travels every fall and spring are the people I meet. The most memorable things to me are always the experiences I am able to have with people who are warm enough to go out of their way to share their cultures with me. Unforgettable to me is the English teacher in Shanghai, China who took me to the Bund and helped me experience a little bit of the Mid-Autumn festival, and the family of one of our current students in Panama who opened up their home to me for a truly lovely dinner, complete with some of the best ceviche I have ever had, or the Japanese ambassador interested in our programs who shared a traditional Japanese meal with me.

Hong Kong Harbor view from the Victoria Shanghai Academy

Beijing, China, in front of the Birds Nest from the 2008 Olympic Games

Beijing, China. In front of the Birds Nest from the 2008 Olympic Games

Each of the over 50 schools I visited and the hundreds of students and families I met were distinctive, as each had their own reason for wanting to make Roger Williams University their home, whether it was one of our 43 academic majors that they had previously researched, our beautiful oceanfront campus they had seen or visited, or one of our many clubs, organizations and athletic teams from equestrian and tennis to sailing and soccer. So I want to take the time to say thank you to everybody that helped to make my trip what it was! But the most rewarding part of travel season is still yet to come and that is when I am able to see the students and families I have met on the road again, only this time right here at RWU!

468 ad