Back to Campus

Posted by admin on September 17, 2013
Summer 2013

We are already three weeks into senior year. Did I just say senior year? In college? I’m graduating in eight months? I have to join the “real world?” I’m not sure how I feel about that. I loved my summer at the Daily News but it was not easy. Thinking about doing that for the next 40+ years is extremely scary, especially since the last 21 years of my life have been so amazing. What if it’s never this awesome ever again?! The last eight months have been a gift. A gift I’m not sure I even deserved. A blessing. Life-changing. I went to Ireland for 4 months and then NYC for 3 months. Now I’m back at one of my favorite places in the world, Roger Williams. I’m a senior. I have wonderful friends. I live in a beautiful house off campus (with three girls I lived with freshman year in Willow). I love my classes and adore my professors. Life is pretty damn good.

Since the semester has started, I’ve been seeing a lot of faces I haven’t seen since December or before. Reunions = happiness. Two have stuck out in my mind. Two people I met freshman year and have stayed in touch with. An advisor and a professor. People I look up to and respect. People who have gotten to know me, my struggles, my dreams. Anyway, they both said to me that I’ve changed. I’m different. They noticed right away. I’m confident. I’m an adult. I’m a woman. I know who I am. I figured it out. Hearing that from them was better than any paycheck, any byline, anything. It was real.

I know I’m only 21. I know I do not have it all figured out, but if you rewinded my life exactly eight months, you would see a different person. Still me, someone I like. But me now…not to sound cocky, but I love me now! All thanks to a semester abroad and an internship. Two things I couldn’t have gotten without Roger Williams University.

There are a lot of exciting things happening in my life that I can’t tell you about quite yet but I promise you’ll hear soon. Unfortunately, it has nothing to do with stalking Anthony Weiner or sitting in on murder trials, but don’t worry, I keep things exciting :)

Tags: , , , ,