Weeks 5 & 6

Posted by admin on July 15, 2013
Summer 2013

I was so busy last week I didn’t get a chance to write about the week before.

…Totally kidding.

I was on vacation last week! It was such a nice break. My family and I rented a house in Virginia Beach that made me feel like a Kardashian (yes, I just said that). The house was 3 stories, had 10+ bedrooms, 2 pools (indoor and outdoor), 2 of every kitchen appliance imaginable, a home theatre, and was directly on the beach.

My Dad chatted with the locals to learn what type of hook and bait to use for saltwater fishing. Grandpa spent hours on a 1000 piece puzzle that was never completed. We played card games and board games but mostly spent our days switching lounge spots from the beach to the pool and vice versa.

At the beginning of vacation, I was going to bed early and waking up early, as if I was still on my work sleep schedule. By the end, I was up until midnight each night and slept in until 9, so you can imagine how fun it was to wake up at 5:30 this morning.

Having this little break in the middle of my internship made me appreciate vacations so much more. As a child, your whole life is kind of a vacation: simple and fun. When you enter the “real world,” time off is a blessing, a savior, a… Okay, I’m being a little dramatic, but I realized how hard people work all year round to get this week off and it goes by before you even began to relax. Basically, we have it really easy in college! I can’t wait to get back to RWU and be a full time student again. I haven’t been there since December because I went abroad. I’m so excited.

Sonya "The Black Widow" Thomas

Sonya “The Black Widow” Thomas

Anyway, week 5 was another eventful week as expected. The highlight was when I attended the ceremonial weigh-in for Nathan’s Famous hotdog eating contest. That was on Wednesday, July 3rd because the competition was being held on the 4th at Coney Island. Mayor Bloomberg spoke at the event where he said one sentence containing 15 hotdog puns. It was…punny? The coolest part was that I got to meet Joey “Jaws” Chestnut and Sonya “The Black Widow” Thomas, two well known champions. Sonya is only 5 feet tall and weighs 100 pounds but she ate something like 40 hotdogs in 10 minutes. Her and Joey were the male and female champions on the 4th.

As a bonus, I got a free Nathan’s Famous hotdog. I, however, ate it slowly. And with mustard. Same as Mayor Bloomberg!

Tags: , , , , , ,