What are you going to do with a major in THAT?

Posted By lindsey on January 2nd, 2014

With the end of the fall semester in the distant past, going home leaves some time to relax, but also time to pick up some hours at my high school job before leaving for Jamaica. With that comes a paycheck (which to a college student is like a wish come true) but also the inevitable questions from customers when they find out that I am in college…. Questions such as, “Where do you go to school?” “What are you studying?” and the most dreaded question of all “What are you going to do with THAT?!” Granted, it’s nice to talk with customers other than “can I get you something to drink?” or “are you all set to order?” that inevitable question always used to leave me wondering… what am I going to do with my life?

Luckily, that dreaded question is one I finally have an answer to. I generally tell them that my goal is to go to graduate school for higher education, and though I won’t be working in a field that directly relates to my undergraduate major, I didn’t even know what a career in higher education even looked like until my sophomore year. But hey, better late than never, right?! Either way, it was nice to go to work this break and be prepared with an answer to a question that was bound to be asked.

Meanwhile, when not working or sitting around my house watching Netflix, I’m busily preparing to go to Jamaica with some fellow students and a professor. We’re traveling to a small village south of Montego Bay to work with a community on children’s mental health issues, specifically autism. When not working, I do believe we have some down time to experience the culture first hand and maybe gain a few sunburns along the way! Though I have a lot of reading and learning to do before going to Jamaica, I could not be more excited to be able to participate in such an opportunity. But really, I need to lay off the Netflix and start reading since we leave on January 3rd! Until then, it’s time to spend the last few days in New Hampshire “enjoying” the snow. How does break go by so fast? Now all I need is my new passport to arrive….

Until next time! Happy New Year!

Tags: , ,

Similar Posts