Reporting Live: Senior Year

May is just around the Corner

As cliche as it sounds I cannot believe that I am a senior at Roger Williams University.  It feels like just a year or two ago I was attending my sister’s graduation here, but that was back in 2009.  Now I am the one just a few months away from hearing my name called under the graduation tent and the mix of emotions is starting to set in.  I cannot wait to start my career as a journalist but at the same time it will be the first time in my life that I will be away from school and out in the real world.

The four months that I spent in Washington, D.C. last semester was one of the greatest periods of time in my life.  When May came around and it was time for me to move back to Connecticut I realized how profound of an impact that city had on me.  It changed me as a person for the better.  I matured, met a group of amazing friends, worked an awesome job and made connections that I will keep with me for a long time.  Washington had me sold and it is a city that I love.  But I knew coming back home that summer would not be the typical three month relaxation period.  I had to get back to work.  I started up my part time job again as a sales associate and was even offered an internship with NBC Connecticut where I had interned the summer before.  I was so excited to be asked to return to NBC CT as it was a place that I really enjoyed and a place that solidified in me that journalism is the field where I want to work.

My summer at NBC CT was even better than the one before.  I already knew may of the people there and it was kind of like I was just jumping right back into the swing of things.  My main duties were to work the assignment desk and assist the assignment editors and producers with anything they needed help with.  I spent a lot of time calling police and fire stations, monitoring Twitter and occasionaly conducting an interview for a web article.  My second summer at NBC CT helped me to build upon what I had learned the summer before as well as build upon what I had learned in D.C. and I am very grateful that I was given the chance to intern there twice.

The internship ended, job complete, and now I am back at RWU as a senior.  You always hear people say “oh you are a senior you are going to have a blast that’s your last hoorah!”  I have been a senior now for around six weeks and I have never been more busy in my life!  I decided that in my final year I wanted to become more involved than in previous years here at RWU so I took on some extra roles, which I have enjoyed greatly, but which have packed my schedule.  If I am not running around to one of my five classes you can probably find me editing video, writing or monitoring social media for my work study with the RWU Journalism Department.  I also took on the role as the RWU Chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists Secretary and have been helping to plan events and to get that club off and running here at RWU.  And as a journalism major there is never a shortage of interviews to conduct, video to shoot or articles to write.  As busy as I have been, the fast pace of this year has not offered me a dull moment yet and I cannot wait to see what the rest of the semester, and year, offers me.  May is just around the corner and I am going to make the best of these last few months before our bittersweet graduation.

Post Navigation