Reporting Live: Senior Year

Winding Down

The past few days have been absolutely crazy.  Not only have I been working on a research paper and portfolio for class, but I have also been spending long hours at work and trying to find time to see things around the city that I have missed.  With only another week in D.C. the time crunch is in full effect and I am certainly feeling it.

Last Monday my friends and I took the time to get out to a Nationals baseball game which was very fun.  The game featured the Nationals vs. Cardinals and was very cheap compared to ticket prices in the Northeast.  Also, it happened to be $1 hot dog night which didn’t hurt!  Although the Nats lost the game, it was a great cheap way to hang out with friends and enjoy America’s pastime in the nations capitol.

This past Saturday I worked an event that CBS was putting on.  It was a cocktail party preceding the White House Correspondents’ Dinner at the Washington Hilton.  Never in a million years did I think that I would be involved in an event like this during the course of my internship.  The dinner is a who’s who of politicians, celebrities and reporters, all taking a night off to relax and hear the President tell some jokes.  I was helping out with CBS’s pre-party by attending one of the doors to make sure no one snuck in.

I thought it would be a pretty simple night, just stand there and do my job. But as the slew of celebrities passed by me I felt that I did not belong in this crowd.  The first shock was when Kevin Spacey and Steven Spielberg passed by having a leisurely chat.  Next came Katy Perry, then the “Gangnam Style” star Psy and then Tracy Morgan.  The names just kept passing by and I was at a loss for words.  I was working so I was not able to take any photos but as they passed by a few of them chatted with me and my coworker, including “CBS This Morning” anchor Gayle King who was very friendly.  After our job was over and everyone had made their way to the dinner portion of the night, my coworkers and I got together to talk about the night and even get some pictures on the red carpet.  The night seemed like a blur as I never expected to be a part of something like this.  But I am grateful for the experience and happy that I had the opportunity!

Post Navigation