Reporting Live: Senior Year

Cherry Blossoms

P1030971

One of the biggest differences between spending a semester in DC compared to in Rhode Island is the weather.  It can be windy at times, but not quite as blustery as the Roger Williams campus can get.  It was pretty cold during the winter here, but we never got any serious snow or sleet, New England wasn’t so lucky this year.  And most importantly, temperatures in DC have already risen above 70 degrees, now that would be an oddity in Rhode Island…in March.

But the best surprise of all came on Wednesday when the temperatures topped out at 90 degrees.  Yes, 90 degrees on April 10th.  Personally I like summer and I like those types of temperatures so I did not have a problem with it.  When I woke up around eight a.m. that morning I opened my bedroom window and it was already very hot out.  I went to work for a few hours and when my day was over I knew I could not just go to my apartment and sit inside, I had to enjoy the rare summer blast.

P1030973

Luckily the cherry blossoms had just blossomed on the tidal basin and I knew that was the perfect place to go for a walk.  The cherry blossoms are famous in DC as they were a gift from Japan.  Every year when they bloom people come from all over the world to see the trees which turn the tidal basin into a burst of pink and white.  I hadn’t gotten a chance to see the trees yet so this was the perfect opportunity.

The cherry blossoms aren’t just a nice sight to see in the city.  They represent a friendship between two nations that have had a very long history with one another.  I am glad that I finally got the chance to see this sight and to be able to take it in on such a rare but beautiful day.

Post Navigation