View Sidebar
Consider a Study Abroad Option!

Consider a Study Abroad Option!

November 20, 2013 9:48 pm

Top of the mornin’ to ya!

My name is Caitlin Holton and I’m that girl who is obsessed with her study abroad experience. I am a junior here at Roger Williams University studying Creative Writing with minors in (don’t hold your breath) Anthropology+Sociology, Arts Management and Art & Architectural History. I find myself pretty busy during the day with school work and on the weekends with either Admissions events (Open House, whoo!) or my off-campus job as a banquet server. When I have free time you can catch me reading a good book, writing what I hope will be a good book, watching sitcoms (Friends will never get old) or maybe listening to my eclectic taste in music. This will be my second year in Admissions — I joined my sophomore year as a tour guide. Every day since has been an adventure!

But back to my favorite topic, study abroad! I knew, as I’m sure many of you do, that I wanted to travel during my time in college. As a kid I traveled to all corners of the United States with my family for my brother’s wrestling tournaments, family gatherings or vacation. I’ve been extremely blessed in that respect but when I left for college it became my time to explore. Just adjusting to living on such a beautiful campus next to the water was interesting for me. Coming from upstate New York, the closest water came in the form of man-made lakes with sand dumped around the edges. Not exactly Mount Hope Bay.

When I walked on campus I knew that this was the place I belonged but I also knew that I wanted more, I wanted to see what else the world could offer me outside the United States. Kevin Hayden, Director of Study Abroad, became a valuable resource in my exploration of programs. As a freshman, I showed up at his office ready to hop onto a plane to Greece. Even though I was set on dipping my feet into the Mediterranean, we found that another option might fit my academic interests and language level a little better. So the second semester of my sophomore year I found myself sitting on transatlantic flight.

Any guesses to where I went? I’ll give you a little hint:

Screen Shot 2013-11-20 at 4.43.55 PM

Another? Okay how about this…

admissions2

Still nothing? Fine, but this is your last one!

admissions1

Ahh there we go, Ireland!

Like RWU, I fell for the University of Limerick within minutes of arriving on campus. For the first time I was truly doing something all on my own. I flew on a plane across the Atlantic without my parents, I made friends without previous contact, I even made my own meals for the first time in my life. If I thought I was independent before, I really was an adult now. All responsibilities were on me and I LOVED IT! And don’t feel bad for me that I never got to “fulfill my dream” of living in Greece because look…

Admissions3

I made it there, too!

As a tour guide I’ve had the extreme pleasure of meeting and talking to people from all over the world, that is one of my favorite parts of the job! An education at RWU is more than what you see on our beautiful 143-acre campus. An education at RWU is an opportunity to become the person you want to be through exploration in academics, community, travel and so much more.

I hope you all find your place in the world and if you haven’t yet, feel free to come to campus for a tour of my world.

Until next time,

Caitlin Holton